Monday, November 29, 2010

Thanksgiving

Happy Thanksgiving to all! This past Saturday, we celebrated Thanksgiving here on station with a two-day weekend and the biggest feast we've had yet! There were three dinner times, 3pm, 5pm, and 7pm, since the galley is not nearly large enough to house the one thousand plus people currently on station. Larry and I and several friends signed up for the 7pm dinner and spent the afternoon beforehand playing the card game Munchkin.

Whitney ponders her next strategic move...

Larry was pooped and fell asleep during the game.
At 6pm, we got in line for dinner and managed to secure a place very near the front of the line; at 7pm sharp, the galley opened!

The table where the turkey was carved

Look at all those yummy desserts! Tiramisu, pumpkin pie, pumpkin cheesecake, chocolate raspberry torte, and so much more! I didn't have room for any of them after eating dinner, so I piled several on a plate and ate them the next morning in my dorm room.

Mmmm... dinner. After three years of vegetarianism, I began eating seafood again in August. I also allowed myself a Thanksgiving turkey exception. :-) It was all very tasty!

Larry thoroughly enjoyed his meal.

My friend and fellow janitor Aireana poses with me for a photo

More friends! 
Yet another friend Brent and me
After dinner, I went home and slept like a baby. :)

Now that it's warmed up quite a bit here, the skuas have arrived. What is a skua, you ask? It's a species of scavenger bird that feeds on the placenta of seals who have given birth. They also like to attack people who walk out of the galley with food in their hands. I saw my first skua attack yesterday! Usually, they swoop down from behind on an unsuspecting victim to startle them into dropping their food. Once that happens, the skua leaves the person alone and eats the food on the ground. They are persistent birds and are not afraid of people, which is why I was able to get a couple of close-up shots of a skua watching and waiting outside the galley.




I hope everyone had a fantastic Thanksgiving! More adventures to come!

5 comments:

  1. Looks like fun, I'm glad you had a fun Thanksgiving! You've got some cute co-workers too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Thanksgiving! It looks like McMurdo knows how to throw a party!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice shirt. Did you go clubbing that night? :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Possibly the best pictures yet. I'm constantly surprised by the lack of extra layers indoors. How warm do they keep it inside the buildings? With the temperatures outside, I would think it would be difficult to keep indoors warm enough for short (or no) sleeves. Then, you did say that it was beginning to warm up... :)

    Also, the wide picture of the dining hall was nice. Gives a much better sense of just how many people really are there. And that's only about 1/3 of them?

    Oh, and I agree with Pete... nice shirt. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOL! No, Pete, I did not go clubbing that night, although I would have liked to. I have been a bit stir-crazy that past couple of weeks. :)

    Mike, the buildings are kept quite warm actually. So warm that Larry and I have to sleep with a fan on in the room otherwise it's too hot and stuffy. The wide photo you refer to shows about half of the dining hall, so you're only seeing about a sixth of the people here. Yes, it's crowded. :)

    ReplyDelete